Said T. Jawad
49 Albert Court, West Block, London, SW7 2BH, United Kingdom
+44 7393 950 209 email@example.com www.ambassadorjawad.com
Ambassador of Afghanistan to the United Kingdom
Non-Resident Envoy To Ireland
Embassy of Afghanistan – London
March 2017 to Present
Ambassador of Afghanistan to the United States of America
Non-Resident Envoy to Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Mexico
Embassy of Afghanistan – Washington, DC
November 2003 to October 2010
Chief of Staff of the President Of Afghanistan
Presidential Palace – Kabul
May 2002 to November 2003
Press Secretary and Spokesperson to the President
Presidential Palace – Kabul
March 2002 to May 2002
Chief Executive Officer
Strategic Consulting: Investment, Security, and Development – Washington, DC
November 2010 to March 2017
Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government – Cambridge, MA
October 2010 to February 2011
Johns Hopkins University, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies – Washington, DC
January 2011 – January 2012
Chairman and Founder
The Foundation for Afghanistan – Washington, DC
April 2004 – March 2017
Global Political Strategist
APCO Worldwide – Washington, DC
March 2010 – March 2017
- Fundamentally reorganized the Office of the President of Afghanistan and managed domestic and international policy issues, including security, military, and development matters.
- Formulated national policies, prioritized governmental tasks in a post-conflict situation and implemented reforms in the fragile political environment.
- Participated in the cabinet and the National Security Council meetings.
- Met with world political and military leaders and worked directly with USA, NATO and military experts on rebuilding the Afghan National Army and reforming the Ministry of Defense.
- Drafted presidential decrees, laws and regulations, including the foreign investment laws of Afghanistan, and reviewed and revised major agreements between the government of Afghanistan and foreign institutions and oversaw the process of drafting Afghanistan’s new constitution.
- Managed all state visits and foreign trips of the Head of State, met with the leaders of foreign states, and participated in international summits and conferences.
- Re-established the Embassy of Afghanistan in Washington, DC and developed it into the highest profiled Afghan international mission, and established diplomatic relations with Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, and Mexico.
- Managed all aspects of diplomacy, defense, security, and development of Afghanistan through close interaction with the UK government and agencies, the White House, State Department, Pentagon, US Congress, media.
- Received the Diplomat of the Year Award by the Diplomat Magazine for the Embassy’s responsiveness, engagement, and activity.
- Managed the convening of the historic “Camp David” talks between President Bush and President Karzai in 2005 and coordinated state visits and foreign trips of Afghan leaders to economic summits in Berlin, Tokyo, Paris, Rome, and London, as well as NATO Security Conferences in Brussels and Warsaw.
- Led a dynamic team of international business experts at Capitalize, advising foreign governments and international corporations and investors on politics, defense, security, market entry, commercial opportunities, and development strategies in the Central Asia and Gulf regions, including Afghanistan.
- Extensive practical experience of top-level peacemaking and community level peacebuilding, while conducting peace talks for conflict transformation with insurgents, spoilers, and a variety of actors to end violence and deconstruct unjust and unlawful power structures that fed conflict.
- Passionate advocate of human rights, women’s empowerment, social justice, and equitable conflict resolution with a solid track record of work for social justice, access to quality education, democracy, and pluralism.
- Founded the Foundation for Afghanistan, dedicated to providing high quality education for Afghan girls from conflict areas in Afghanistan.
- Represented Afghanistan in over fifty key international economic and security conferences in North America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Central Asia, and/or coordinated and accompanied the leaders of Afghanistan to international summits.
- Lectured at Ivy League academic institutions, including Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, Princeton University, Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, Kansas State University, Georgetown University, George Washington University, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, University of Texas, as well as the National Defense Intelligence College and National Defense University.
- Featured in interviews produced by many prominent media outlets, including NBC’s “Meet the Press,” CNN’s “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer,” Bloomberg’s “Night Talk with Mike Schneider,” CBS, C-SPAN, Al Jazeera, BBC, and Voice of America.
- Frequent speaker at think tanks such as the RAND Corporation, the Brookings Institute, the U.S. Institute of Peace, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Council on Foreign Relations, Center for American Progress, New America Foundation, American Bar Association, American Enterprise Institute, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, the Asia Society, Observer Research Foundation of India, Emirate Center for Strategic Studies, Fredrich Ebert Foundation of Germany, Council on Foreign Relations of Brazil, and Center of Implementation of Public Policy of Argentina.
- Published hundreds of articles and commentaries in the United States, Europe, and Afghanistan, and op-eds that have appeared in The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Time, The International Herald Tribune, Der Spiegel, Le Monde, The Guardian, Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy, and authored “The realities of War and Rebuilding in Afghanistan” published in 2005 in the United States, and “Be the Provider of Relief, Not an Inquisitor of Belief,” published in Kabul in 2016.
Golden Gate University, School of Business
San Francisco, CA
Executive MBA, December 2001
W. Wilhelms University, School of Law
Extensive studies in international, civil and criminal laws, 1981 to 1984
Kabul University, School of Law and Political Science
Awards And Honors
Constitutional Loya Jirga Service Medal
President of Afghanistan
Kabul, Afghanistan, 2003
Honorary Doctorate Degree in Organization Leadership
Washington, DC 2007
Award of Merit for Rebuilding a Nation
The American Society for Engineering Education
Washington, DC 2007
English, German, French, Farsi, and Pashto
- International Coordination and Response Group for the Families of the Victims of Flight PS752″, London, 16 January 2020
- India Pakistan Afghanistan Dialogue, Bangkok, 21-23 July 2019
- Defend Media Freedom Conference, London, UK, 10-11 July 2019
- IISS-NESA South Asia Security Conference, Bahrain, 27-28 April 2019
- India Pakistan Afghanistan + Iiss, Bangkok, 17-18 April 2019
- Indian Pakistan Afghanistan Dialogue, Thailand, 24-28 January 2019
- 12th High Level Iiss-Nesa Southern Asia Security Conference, Muscat, 12-14 October 2018
- India Pakistan Afghanistan Dialogue, Bangkok, 23-25 July 2018
- The Fourth High-Level Iiss-Nesa South Asia Security Workshop – Building regional Security & Countering Terrorism, Manama, 5-6 May 2018
- Stabilisation And Building Stability In The Long Term: An Exchange Of Views Between Pakistan And The UK Conference, Wilton Park, March 12-14, 2018
- The Fourth High- Level IISS-NESA South Asia Security Conference (Building Regional Security and Countering Terrorism), Manama, May 5-6, 2018
- The India- Pakistan- Afghanistan Security Dialogue, Bangkok, February 8-10, 2018
- The India- Pakistan- Afghanistan Security Dialogue, Bangkok, February 1-2, 2017
- Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 18 – 21, 2016
- The India-Pakistan-Afghanistan Security Dialogue, Bangkok, September 21 – 23, 2016
- Warsaw NATO Summit, Warsaw, July 9 -10, 2016
- World Humanitarian Summit, Istanbul, May 23-24, 2016
- Official Visit To India With Chief Executive Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, March 28-30, 2016
- India Today Conclave, New Delhi, March 17-18, 2016
- The India-Pakistan-Afghanistan Security Dialogue, Istanbul, March 3-6, 2016
- Counter Terrorism Conference, Tackling Global Terror Outfits, Jaipur, February 2-3, 2016
- International Development Law Organization’s Assembly Of Parties, Rome, November 24-27, 2015
- Concordia Summit, New York, October 1-2, 2015
- World Economic Forum On The Middle East & North Africa, Amman, May 21-23, 2015
- US-Afghanistan Dialogue At Camp David, Catoctin Mountain park, March 23, 2015
- State Visit To Azerbaijan With President Ghani And Chief Executive Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, Baku, February 28, 2015
- Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 20-22, 2015
- London Conference On Afghanistan, London, December 3-4, 2014
- NATO Summit, Brussels, December 2, 2014
- State Visit To Germany, Berlin, December 1, 2014
- Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 21–22, 2014
- Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 22-23, 2013
- Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 16-18, 2012
- Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 18-20, 2011
- Euromines: Mining Investors Forum, Investment Opportunities And The Economic Future Of Afghanistan, Brussels, October 26, 2011
- The Buxton Initiative Forum, Islam: Myths & Realities, Winston-Salem, October 24, 2011
- The Halifax International Security Forum, Halifax, November 5-7, 2010
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, September 24-25, 2009
- Leading Thinkers Forum. The Foundation For The Defense Of Democracies, Freeport, June 11-12, 2009
- Emerald Express, National Defense University, Quantico Base, USA, April 8, 2009
- New Strategy For Afghanistan, Hague Centre For Strategic Studies, The Hague, March 30, 2009
- A Comprehensive Strategy In A Regional Context, The Government Of The Netherlands, The Hague, March 31, 2009
- Un General Assembly 63rd Session, United Nations, New York, September 27, 2008
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, September 24-25, 2008
- Security Council Debate On Afghanistan, United Nations, New York, July 9, 2008
- Atlantic Alliance at a New Crossroads, German Marshall Fund and the Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation, Istanbul, June 15-17, 2008
- US Islamic World Forum, Doha, February 16-18, 2008
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, September 24-25, 2007
- UN General Assembly 62nd Session, United Nations, New York, September 22, 2007
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, September 24-25, 2006
- UN General Assembly 61st Session, United Nations, New York, September 22, 2006
- XIV Non-Allied Movement Summit, Havana, September 15-16, 2006
- London Conference On Afghanistan, London, January 31- February 1, 2006
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, September 24-25, 2005
- UN General Assembly 60th Session, United Nations, New York, September 22, 2005
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, October 23, 2004
- UN General Assembly 59th Session, United Nations, New York, September 22, 2004
- 17th Nato Summit, Istanbul, July 28-29, 2004
- World Economic Forum, Davos, January 21-25, 2004
- The Crans Montana Forum, Manama, December 3-5, 2003
- The Labour Party Annual Conference, Bournemouth, United Kingdom, September 28-October 2, 2003
- International Monetary Fund And World Bank Group Annual Meetings, Washington DC, October 23, 2003
- UN General Assembly 58th Session, United Nations, New York, September 22, 2003
- Fighting Terrorism For Humanity, International Peace Academy, New York, September 22, 2003
- World Economic Forum, Amman, June 21-23, 2003
- Rebuilding A Nation Conference, US Trade and Development Agency, Chicago, June 8-10, 2003
- The Tokyo Conference On Consolidation Of Peace In Afghanistan, Tokyo, February 22, 2003
- Xiii Non-Aligned Movement Summit, Kuala Lumpur, February 20-25, 2003
- Afghanistan Support Group Annual Meeting, Oslo, December 17-18, 2002
- Summit Of States Of Afghanistan, Pakistan And Turkmenistan, Ashgabat, October 26, 2002
- Seventh Eco Heads Of State Summit Meeting, Istanbul, October 14, 2002
- UN Friends Of Afghanistan Conference, United Nations, New York, September 15, 2002
- Constitutional Loya Jirga, Kabul, June 10-16, 2002
- Emergency Loya Jirga, Kabul, June 10, 2002
- Unctad Legal Affairs Afghanistan Forum, Geneva, February 21, 2002
- Stop Gender Apartheid In Afghanistan, Feminist Majority Foundation, March 29, 1999